Friday, January 26, 2007

Rise and Shine

From time to time I get questions about how am I able to to fit so many things into my schedule. The answer, in a nutshell, is discipline and regimentation. I begin and end my days with rituals that get me focused and prepared mentally and spiritually. I'm happy to share my rituals, and then if any readers want to share theirs, we can all have a few ideas on how to fill our own cups. My morning ritual consists of rising early (I'm a morning person) before the rest of my family, to have what I call a quiet time. I take 30 minutes for prayer, journaling, Bible-reading, inspirational book reading, and meditation. I'm very methodical about it so I can fit it all in. First I sit at my computer desk and pop in a CD of relaxing but spiritual music. Most days I listened to a CD by singer Taylor Mesple called "Victory Land." Its 31 minutes long exactly so I time my activities by the legnth of the songs. Sometimes I also listen to Gregorian Chant. Next I light a candle I keep there for this purpose. In the file cabinet next to my computer desk, I keep the top drawer filled with my "equipment." My bible, journal, and inspirational reading books are kept there. Right now, I'm reading Victoria Moran's "Fit From Within." Its made up of lots of 1-2 page essays, perfect for daily readings. I usually start with some deep breathing and meditation (my appetizer), then read my Daylights, a book a daily meditations. Then I read from my Bible, my Daylights has readings listed at the bottom that get you through the Bible in one year( my meat and potatoes). I have a journal that I write in after I've completed my reading. I usually have a few minutes of prayer on my knees (just to change positions). I finish off with "dessert" which is reading from an inspiration book that I've selected. I typically get up before my family so that this is all done in 'relative' peace and quiet. Usually the cats and dog are up and try to get my attention to feed them! This is wonderful preparation for me to face the day, filled from one end to the other with activity and committments. I believe my early cultivation in life of embracing a daily quiet time has enabled me to be as productive as I am. Now its your turn, what rituals do you use to start your day?

2 comments:

Mid-life Midwife said...

Thank you for posting this. I loved reading it. I've been focusing on making my mornings far more meaningful in this new year. It really does help having a routine down and finding your way for the day. I feel so much more grounded when I make the time for some prayer and meditation time.
I think I'll try to post something similar soon. Thanks for the inspiration.
-A long-time reader!

Anonymous said...

You are a far more disciplined woman than I am! My only morning ritual is listening to CBC radio in bed, as my brain slowly wakes up. I save all other things (like prayer, quiet time, meditation) for later in the day. You are inspiring!