Thursday, June 26, 2008

Must Read

You must read Navelgazing Midwife's post on her response to the updated ACOG statement against homebirth. It's a marvelous read. She lays out 11 suggestions for MDs for wooing women back to hospital birth. I love her suggestions. It also made me realize that if OBs are fighting this hard, they must see homebirth as a real threat (not to public safety as they claim, but to their political status). The victory in Missouri also reminds me that Goliath doesn't win every battle. Am I feeling the beginnings of a shift in attitude about birth that I've long waited for, or is it just last night's burrito testing my intestinal fortitude?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for referring folks to my post. I really am proud of it. I hope, though, that it reaches those that need to hear it, not just the choir that reads it now.

I feel a shift, but it isn't all positive. The resolution is a baby step in the physicians' arsenal to medicalize birth and terrify women.

I can see a medical/birth show put on by ACOG that demonstrates the plethora of unprovoked complications. They will have to include women on drugs, teen moms, women in their late 40's (and beyond)... and all sorts of unsual situations they can play up to the hilt.

I think change is here... and we need to be proactive more than defensive.

Thank you again!