Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Quick Update

I've just updated my website. (Just click on the link in the upper corner) All that's missing, of course, is a plug for my book. I've been procrastinating looking for a publisher- not sure why. But I have been very busy working on getting speaking gigs. One notable change to my life- I've recently decided to do doula work again- homebirths only. My year and a half birth fast is about to come to an end. I interview with my first potential clients tomorrow night. I do want to get back into birth- but only on my own terms- so this is what I've come up with. I'm also writing a lot and have two to three more articles in the works. Life is good, when you allow yourself to be who you are.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great to hear you are getting back to births...

I recently saw that the Sage Femme place is closed for now. I am not pregnant, my baby is 5 months old and I breast feed so I have a while with the way my body works. However, I was so dreaming of birthing in a place where I'd have choices without the possibility of having to argue. I risk a lot if I go into the hospital and refuse fetal monitoring all together...I think. I wonder, if you refuse the machine, will they monitor with another method like a midwife would at home? I just am still not ready to have a baby at home. We have such a small home and we're quite messy. I really do get tense around my children when in labor, I usually want to go somewhere else to birth the baby. Because several of mine were born soon after hospital arrival, that intervention issue wasn't as big as it was this last time. My husband is also not comfortable with me delivering at home. It would take a lot to convince him to do it. The center was such a nice option for me....

I also am excited. A woman who I look up to at church has 10 children (the youngest in high school) and she's training to be a doula. I may use her services if I get the chance to have another baby. Of course, again, this is strange to even worry about as I am not pregnant now. I just wanted to plan ahead better than this last time.

Blessings!
Dawn

CfM Molly said...

It sounds like a good plan to dip back into doula work in this way. If you're feeling in the mood to write articles, I'd love to receive a contribution from you for Citizens for Midwifery News someday! (an unpaid market, but we are happy to mention your book, website, etc. in your bionote. It is a national publication :)

Molly
Editor, CfM News

LaborPayne said...

Molly,
SWEET! (I don't usually get paid for writing- it's a marketing vehicle). Why don't you send me a list of this year's theme, and I'll see what I can write about. Email me at laborpayne@yahoo.com

CfM Molly said...

I sent you an email about our publication dates. Looking forward to hearing from you!

Molly