Monday, March 05, 2007

To thine own self, be true

I attended the graduation party of a friend yesterday, graduating from nursing school. It is a grand accomplishment to be sure, but I always feel that sense of angst with new nurses. A dis-ease that comes from knowing that they don't really know what they're getting themselves into. Nursing is a wonderful profession- but there are pitfalls. I love being a nurse at the same time that I have vowed not to return to hospital nursing. (I know I should never say never- but this time I am.) For me, the beauty of nursing is in its creative and manifold expressions. There are so many ways to be a nurse. I'm looking for the most self-driven, independent, creative mode. I will define what being a nurse means for me- no one else will spell it out for me. The beauty of nursing is of course, that I can.

No comments: