Tuesday, April 22, 2008

One Flew Out of the Cukoo's Nest

I took my 19 year old down to visit his college yesterday. He'll be attending Pittsburg State University in Pittsburg KS (don't even try finding it on a map). He has an internship in DC this summer first and will start at Pitt State this Fall. Before the intership, he has to get through graduation at the Jr. College he attends. A busy year for this kiddo. He is steadfast, earnest, and very thorough. So far he has payed for college all on his own, with his savings and earnings. He scrupulously accounts for every penny (he didn't get that from me). He researched colleges for months and chose one that offered his major and minor but was most economical. He studiously informed us that Pitt State would be less expensive than going to the state college here in our town and living at home. But honestly, I think it will do him good to go away to school anyway. I've been giving him some cooking lessons and reviewing the finer points of ironing. (He'll need to wear suits and button down shirts while in DC.) I'll miss this kid- he's really been the easiest one of the bunch. He's a 'walk the chalk' kind of person who wouldn't dream of breaking a rule (he doesn't get that from me either). Honestly it just seems like yesterday my husband and I were taking turns cuddling him in our arms (he was such a pretty baby) and now he's taller than both of us! He is quiet, handsome, and serious about his academics and will do well at his new school. I worry about him socially just a little. An introvert by nature (like both his parents) he is still warm and friendly toward people. He is very active in the church youth group and quite popular and a leader. But he's grown up with all those kids- its been a very insulated environment. Also, he's never dated- just group events with the church kids. (No we didn't forbid it, nor did we encourage it, he just never showed an interest.) He's a very devout person- I don't think he'll go crazy once he's out of his element, but I want to be prepared if he does start 'experimenting.' He's a good kid, but he's not perfect. I just want to be supportive of the man he is trying to become.

No comments: