Friday, June 09, 2006

The Next Generation of Birth

Today I have offered to teach a private childbirth class for my son and daughter-in-law. They are expecting a baby in a few weeks. I am a certified childbirth educator, but I haven't taught in years. I have so much I want to communicate to them, but my message is difficult to deliver and even harder to recieve. I've already given them a few books to read. I'll probably start by assessing what they already know and ask them about the issues that are most important to them. We'll then go over the mechanics of labor and birth and talk about birthplans. They are seeing a midwife (a good start) and I gave them a Doula as a gift. I don't know much about the hospital where they'll be delivering. In my years as a Doula myself, I never attended a birth there. They invited me and my daughter-in-laws' mother to be at the birth. (I don't usually recommend the presence of mothers at deliveries, but I'm not going to refuse when I'm the mother being asked!) All in all, I'm hopeful but a tad nervous. I don't want to go and watch another bad birth. On the other hand, if my presence or input can make a difference, I'd like to offer it. I'm trying really hard not to have expectations, after all its her birth not mine. Her birth values and expectations may be totally different from mine. She's entitled to have the birth she wants, not the one I want. I just want to be supportive of them and at the same time be true to my own beliefs.

No comments: