Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Leaving the Cocoon

As labor progressed, Kirsten the midwife had requested hourly heart tones. I knew ahead of time that that was her protocol. Still I was surprised when I heard the decelerations down to the 80s. I knew this was not good. At Kirsten's request, I began to drink lots of water. I was content to stay in the labor coccoon and just work the contractions- that was work enough. I didn't want to deal with anything else. I was in a tug of war with myself. The decel forced me to leave to cocoon and work with my birth team as a team. Up to that point I had been flying solo. Now I had to come out and join the others. I had to admit to myself, some dependence on them. Drinking the water was an intervention (yes a simple, and effective one I know) but it still meant that someone had to intervene and I had to comply. It was another role shift- a necessary one, but one that was difficult for me to make. After the decelerations continued for a few more contractions, I was checked for dilation and found to be 6-7 with a bulging bag. Kirsten suggested breaking the water, but I was unsure. She then suggested prayer. That was the best intervention yet. Kirsten prayed. It was powerful and I knew something had changed. I continued to drink and pee, drink and pee. The contractions grew stronger and closer together. About an hour after the check, I stood up for my next contraction, the strongest yet, I felt pressure and pushed with it. I pushed again and felt the familiar burn-stretch sensation of the baby crowning. "Baby's coming" I said to whoever was near enough to hear then, whoosh, the baby was out.

No comments: