Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Our Love Child

I visited my friend Lon yesterday. (It seems like I visit a lot doesn't it?) I was in the neighborhood and stopped by his place of business. He's a big time caterer in town. We worked together 100 years ago before I got married and went to nursing school and we were both in the restaurant business. We've kept in touch, through the years and he's become something of a business mentor to me. I've watched him grow his very successful catering business and often go to him for advice on business matters. Anyway, Lon is a big old teddy bear and one of the funniest people I know, I love him and his wife Marcia to pieces. So, I show up and walk up the stairs to his private office. A couple of his staff were up there with him, so I decided to be mischevious, as I told him about the pregnancy. "Lon, I have to tell you something" I said in a forboding voice. He could only see the top of my head as I climbed the stairs. "Don't tell me you're pregnant" he answered as I continued to climb the stairs. "Yes, with our love child!" I blurted out as I reached the top and showed him my swollen belly. We all had a big laugh. After he introduced me to his staff members (and staunchly denied paternity), we had a terrific visit as I caught him up on the goings on in my life. He asked how my husband was taking the pregnancy. I said "I shoulda had that boy clipped when I had the chance!" Chatting with Lon about the pregnancy was pleasant and delightful. Seeing him again made my day and it felt good to be able to have pleasant chit chat about my circumstances. I had so much fun visiting, I forgot to order that corn dip he makes that I want to include in my ritual feast. Friends like Lon are a healing balm for the soul.

No comments: